Saturday 3 February 2018

Steampunk Canvas on Card

A year or so ago I picked up a Mont Marte canvas pad, it was on sale, at the time it seemed like a good buy.  The first time I tried to use it was with stamps was a complete failure and ended up in the garbage,  stamping was almost impossible. The surface is so uneven that even with a MISTI I couldn't get a good impression.  So back on my paper shelf and now again resurrected.
The reason I pulled out is a) I've been working on more mixed media and created a couple of art boards (I'll share some in the future) and b) CAS Mix up challenge this month is Felt Cork or Canvas.

I cut a piece of the canvas about 5" by 7" and started adding layers of colour.  I first covered it in Distress ink (Tea die) as a wash, this took away the bright white surface.  I then used some Lindy's Stamp Gang spray with some blue/green tones (Tibetan Poppy Teal).  I stamped a series of quotes from one of the Alison Bomber sets randomly across the canvas. For texture I used a couple of my crackle pastes, a piece of left over cling wrap background die cut into a gear shape, and this great button I got in a pack from Micheal's.  I thought a little Steampunk theme would be fun.



 The heart button was covered in clear gesso and painted with some Artisan Powder (La Chapelier) then sprayed with the lindys stamp gang spray while wet.  I buffed the surface of the gears to remove some of the colour and give it a worn look.  As I used Matte medium to adhere the die cit gears it took off some of the watercolour used on the card.  The die cut is a little lighter than I had intended but still works.


I'm entering this for
CAS Mix up (Canvas)
CAS Watercolour (Heart)
Craft Stampers TIMI Challenge (anything goes)
Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (anything goes)









Card Recipe
Stamps:
Paper:
Ink:
Accessories:
Techniques:

22 comments:

Nstiz said...

WOW! You are the queen of mixed media and that background is spectacular! Love all the texture you added. How I'd love to see your mixed media products since you always introduce us to something new. Love this design. I'm a fan of steampunk and haven't done it in quite a while! Now off to shop at Lindy's!

Robyn Oliver said...

Just fabulous Christine, love your style, the colour and textures

Cathy said...

Fantastic mini canvas Christine, love all of your elements, Cathy x

nancy littrell said...

Wow...Gorgeous Steampunk CAS canvas design, Christine. You are making me want to get Inky!! TFS your beauty and all your steps in your description. Hugs...

BożenA said...

WOW! Despite the use of heavy, masculine elements, the card has remained light thanks to the large amount of white space. The color scheme is unique.
Hugs,
BozenA

Bonnie said...

Wow! This is so cool, Christine! I love the colors and the stamped quotes! And that button tops it off beautifully! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Susan said...

Love all of the texture and the great variety of mixed media! The gears look great and the button is fantastic!

Christine said...

Superb! I also went through the same with a canvas pad. Shall get mine out and try this with a sheet. Thanks for the inspiration.
X

Loll said...

LOVE!! Great layering of techniques and products to come up with a beautiful canvas, Christine. I love how it looks framed in white ... a huge punch from a small panel. The colours from the Lindy magicals are beautiful and create a gorgeous background for your gears and metal heart. And I LOVE the crackle paste that you've added underneath the gears. Awesome design ... amazing creation! xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

LOVE IT!! fab card...such interest.
xx Karen

MaryH said...

Enjoyed the explanation nearly as much as I loved the pretty result of all your mixed media work. You succeeded just dandy this time with the canvas, and I love the dark green patina of the background. A perfect embellie with the heart button, and clever to think of adding the clear gesso over that. Works great with the gears and you did superb with the crackle paste too. Framing the piece atop the white, really looks like a museum display! TFS

Jeanne H said...

A lot of work went into this card and I am really impressed with your results!

Trina P. said...

Stunning, Christine! So creative and unique. The deep rich colours are gorgeous. Love your treatment of that cool heart button... how do you come up with these ideas?!... awesome job. . .

Viv said...

Awesome make. Love it.

Mac Mable said...

You sure looked like you had fun making this. Thank you for the steps, as I am always interested in the mediums you have used and how they have reacted etc. Learning all the time so thank you so much for your constant inspiration x Such fabulous elements and techniques on this fabulous card x

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow, fantastic Steampunk canvas, Christine! I LOVE this card. Lots of wonderful layers, cool cling wrap die cut gears, and on top of that, you turned a button form Michael's into a piece of art! Hideko

Julia Aston said...

This is beautiful Christine! LOVE the colors and stampings on your canvas - and that great heart and die cut gears give a wonderful steam punk feel - thanks so much for joining us in the CAS Mix Up! Julia xx

Teresa Kline said...

fun card! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

blog-paperie blooms
ig-2klines

sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

Red Queen Art Creations said...

Just been catching up with all your lovely creations Christine. I really love your latest creation, it is right up my street. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog,
Love Sarita xx

Jo said...

Love the variations in this CAS card, Christine. So much colour, keeping a balance with the black stamping and black frame, plus the same subtle colours in the the die cutting. Your complimentary button is the perfect finish, beautiful worked. Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Mix Up! xx

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

Wow!! Absolutely stunning :)
Hugs
Preeti

Linda said...

This looks amazing! I love the texture you've created .... great colours too. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Challenge xx