Sunday 11 February 2018

Faux Enamel Butterfly

Nancy shared a technique she had seen on Kia's blog. It's a video by Marion Emberson creating faux enameled surfaces using embossing powder. Marion used a heat tool and parchment paper (to stop the powder blowing away) to melt the embossing powder. By mixing different colours you get a wonderful artsy faux enamel surface for your die cuts.

A few of us have been busy trying the technique if you have time check out the following blogs
Julia
Nance
Nancy
Sorry if I missed anyone, and I'm sure there will be a few more popping up over the next few days.

My first few attempts failed but I did manage this butterfly before I overheated and killed my heat tool.  In the video Marion touches the parchment with her heat tool to melt the powder below.  Mine being my very first purchase as a card maker, so now pretty old just couldn't handle the extra heat and it just stopped working.


When I peeled my butterfly off the paper I should have used a spatula, but didn't so he lost his antennae. I die cut a second in black and layered them.  
My background is a Bo Bunny plank stamp which I inked in 3 colours of distress oxide ink.  I've had this stamp for years and this is the first time it's been inked. It's so much fun finding stamps in your stash.


I'm entering this for the following challenges
Happy Little Stampers February Mixed Media challenge Butterflies
Water cooler Wednesday 156 Feminine anything goes
CASology





Card Recipe
Stamps: Bo Bunny, Purple onion sentiment (retired)
Paper: 110LB white, watercolour
Ink: Ranger archival black, Distress Oxide inks
Accessories: Stamplorations die cut, MISTI
Techniques: Faux enamel

20 comments:

MaryH said...

Your butterfly looks wonderful. I did see Nancy's lovely bird, then after watching the video she shared (which I couldn't get the entire video) searched Youtube for Marion and the Faux enamel. This looks like a fun project & it certainly yielded an impressive result. (I think I've now got the supplies to try to do it!) I think your pretty faux enamel butterfly looks so pretty resting on the nicely colored, distressed wood! Well done! TFS

Susan said...

This is fabulous, Christine - the faux enameling turned out so well, and the colours are lovely. I'm glad you kept the background really simple so that the butterfly could take centre stage.

Trina P. said...

Gorgeous! You did awesome with this technique. I love the variations you got in your butterfly. I still don’t notice the missing antennas even after you mentioned it. The wood background is a fabulous choice. Love this.
You should enter this in the current CASology challenge, which closes in 9 hrs.
http://casology.blogspot.ca/2018/02/week-286-butterfly.html

Papercraft Boutique said...

Sorry to hear about the heating tool, but your butterfly turned out to be gorgeous!! The colors are beautiful and they blended just like real butterfly wings patterns. I think the layered die-cut black antennae actually look better - a happy accident. :-) The plank stamp is perfect for the butterfly and I love that you used multiple inks. Hideko xx

Heidi Weaver said...

Well, Christine, before giving up the ghost, your heating tool certainly managed to help you create an incredible butterfly! The colours in those wings are indescribably lovely. Love the background and sentiment, too. I must try this technique. It sounds difficult but I love those results. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Bonnie said...

This is a fantastic butterfly, Christine! I wish I could feel it! Love the plank stamp! That's a perfect landing place for your butterfly!

Mac Mable said...

Such a unique effect with this fun technique. Gorgeous butterfly and glad you've inked up that plank stamp as it looks great x Sorry you lost the original antenna's for that beautiful butterfly...LOL x

karen h said...

Your butterfly is gorgeous! I will definitely check out that technique! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Wonderful texture and layers. A real CAS beauty! So happy you could join in the fun at CASology this week.

Jacquie Southas said...

What a cool technique! Your butterfly is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at CASology this week!

Created by Kath said...

Fun technique! Thanks for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!

Joyce said...

Wow, this is gorgeous. I need to check out that technique. It makes for a stunning card. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Oh my Christine. This butterfly looks so artistic and beautiful. The technique is new to me and inspiring. Thanks so much for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday "Feminine Anything Goes" challenge this week.

Nance said...

This is so gorgeous Christine! Hope you get a new heat tool soon. My old one actually worked better than my newer one. Go figure. I love the neutral tones with the touch of purple in this butterfly. Very pretty!

Gio said...

You struggled a lot, but you got an amazing effect. And the card is so elegant, really beautiful, Christine!

Anita in France said...

Just gorgeous, Christine ... and so worth all the anguish ... that butterfly is beautiful and elegant ... what a fabulous technique! Congratulations on your shout out at Watercooler Wednesday with this beauty! Anita :)

Lady Joyful said...

Fabulous card and the butterfly is lovely. Thank you for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

Susanne Vargas said...

Watched the video and must say that it is a very different and new (to me) technique! Very intriguing! Your butterfly came out beautifully and looks fabulous sitting on the wood planks!

Nora said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for playing along with us! Nora, DT Happy Little Stampers...

Susan Renshaw said...

This looks like a fabulous technique! Will have to check out the video...
Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
Susan
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!