Tuesday 30 January 2018

Split coast Stampers Challenges

It's been a while since I played along with the some of the challenges at Splitcoast Stampers but this week both Friday's Mix-Ability "Torn" and Try a New Technique (acetate inking) both caught my eye.

Here are my cards for the challenges.

The first is Mix-Ablility "Torn"
I stamped this pretty bird from Rubbernecker using tea dye distress ink then  watercoloured the image and re-stamped using a slightly darker distress ink.  The background was stenciled using drywall tape and clarity brushes after masking the image.  I tore the edge of the watercolour paper on 3 sides and then used Tea Dye and a blending foam on the edge.
The sentiment is from Carabelle and the "Fig" stamp is from Stampers Annonymous.



The second is Acetate inking, Karen Dunbrook of Snippets blog put together a great tutorial at Split Coast Stampers to show us how to lay down colour for backgrounds using acetate.
For this card I used Distress oxides and heat dried between each layer.  The stamps are from Carabelle.





Card Recipe
Stamps: Carabelle Sentiment card 1, rubbernecker bird,, Carabelle origami bird and butterfly and flowers.
Paper: Watercolour 140lb, Black, 110lb off white.
Ink: Ranger Distress Oxide, Ranger archival black and gray.
Accessories: Misti, Watercolours
Techniques: Acetate smooshing, Watercolouring

8 comments:

nancy littrell said...

I love both your cards, Christine. Your no line colored bird is so beautiful. Love your torn edges and stenciled background with your lovely sentiment.

Your Acetate Inking background turned out beautifully for your stamped images. TFS both beauties, my friend. Hugs..

Susan said...

Two fabulous cards! I love how you finished off the bird with the dry wall tape stenciling and the "Fig" stamp. And the acrylic inking is a perfect background for the origami images.

Loll said...

Two fantastic cards Christine. LOVE your sweet bird with the torn edges. Great CAS mixed media design! The colours from your acetate inking are so pretty and perfect with the silhouette images. xx

Mac Mable said...

Love the way you've torn the edges on the first beautiful card. Great technique on the second and love the ever so artsy and contemporary card x

Nstiz said...

I love both of these and particularly love the natural colors of your painted bird. Those origami stamps are SO fun! I love the way your acetate background turned out too- something I have yet to try.

Bonnie said...

Love that bird and the soft, vintage coloring! The torn edges and composition are superb!

Love your acetate inked background with the origami figures and wildflowers! Love that stamp too!

BożenA said...

I love how you beautifully colored a bird on the first card. I love how beautiful colors penetrate. And the second card is a stunning background. I love how the colors have been imposed. I love how the spots have their direction. It looks really amazing.
Hugs,
BożenA

Julia Aston said...

Two lovely designs for the challenges Christine! Wonderful coloring and stenciling on your bird and the acetate background is beautiful behind your fun stamps!